Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter

I seldom get much out of sermons at church, but today's was even less than uninteresting - it was offensive. The priest said that last year he tried reading the Koran for penance. Offensive enough, but he followed it up by saying it was too boring for him to finish. All of this rendered worse by the fact that the anecdote had nothing to do with the point he was trying to make in his sermon, so it seemed purely spiteful and gratuitous, like Easter is supposed to be our chance to celebrate "winning" over other religions (whereas I would take it that the real point is to celebrate God's victories over death and over our own sinfulness). I'm sure the Prince of Peace likes his minions to mock the 1.2 billion people who revere him as "only" a Prophet.

But holidays, even religious ones, are really about food, aren't they? Oh, and booze. The ham, lamb, and chicken (since most of the family won't eat the first two) are all warming in the oven, just waiting for the boy child to return from wherever he's gotten to. And the $12 bottle of Shiraz is "breathing" and reaching room temperature, readying itself to tickle tastebuds and kill brain cells as God created it to.

A blessed day to you all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of late, I am hearing more and more 'crap' from the pulpit. How do you handle that? Do you chat about with the priest afterwards?

11:05 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

You're probably right that I should, but I don't. It's a good idea.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Valintine Pawson said...

I'm far too eclectic to put up with such things. Holidays are about feasting to celebrate the good of life and being with family or friends to celebrate them as well.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Gary D Macabre said...

I grew up in an agnostic home and found Christianity all on my own. Sadly I later found I was sickened by the hypocrisies and narrow mindedness prevalent throughout. And thus have stepped away from the light and have adapted my beliefs to a personal and internal relationship. One which I will proudly stand behind come the judgment of any greater deity.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead