Monday, September 29, 2008

Paul Newman

A really fine fellow. I don't know where exactly the younger generation looks for its constructions of masculinity, but he gave us plenty over the years, of such variety.

HUD was my father's favorite, and while I can appreciate the power of the performance, the title character is sort of selfishness personified. (The Oedipal dots are easy enough to connect - I believe this was my father's preferred version of masculinity - take what you want and what you can get away with and anyone whose feelings are hurt is just a big whiner and needs to get out of your way.)

My boss at Villanova preferred Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which also suited his life, because Butch was the less flashy of the pair, the brains behind the operation.

And while I hardly pretend or aspire to a Christ figure myself, I think Cool Hand Luke resonates the most with me - the outsider, the loner, never quite fitting in.

And never mind all his work with his line of foods, profits donated to charity. And driving race cars.

2 Comments:

Blogger William Freedman said...

My own, personal connection to Ari ben-Canaan himself ...

When I was in Jerusalem, I had Sunday brunch at the King David Hotel -- and had the same table Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint sat at in "Exodus".

11:20 AM  
Blogger bjoly said...

It's all about Slapshot, and Nobody's Fool remains one of my favs. Paul Newman was the man and may he rest in peace.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead