Thursday, January 15, 2009

Friends

I got some. Maybe not as many as I'd like, maybe fewer than I thought I had, at one time. But more, surely, than I deserve. And it's a good thing, too. For listen up:

"Well, between men like these the advantages of friendship are almost more than I can say. To begin with, how can life be worth living, to use the words of Ennius, which lacks that repose which is to be found in the mutual good will of a friend?"
Cicero, De amicitia 6

"[W]hat consolation have we in this human society, so replete with mistaken notions and distressing anxieties, except the unfeigned faith and mutual affections of genuine, loyal friends?"
Augustine, City of God 19.8

6 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Lee (Morrighan) said...

But how does one distinguish between someone who is a true friend (thick and thin type) and someone who lays it on, but is only there for what you can do for them?

12:45 AM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

So true, and therein is the risk and pain. I haven't always known, and it's hurt, but I suppose the point is - you can't imagine giving up the risk, in order to avoid the hurt.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi Lee (Morrighan) said...

And that is so very quote-worthy. That kind of sums up publishing, too. ;)

I hope to someday be able to view friendships without that bit of distrust and skepticism. Fingers crossed.

6:27 AM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

I understand. My post was prompted by a negative experience. We all have them.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Sabledrake said...

I've fallen away from a lot of friendships (and most of my family) because of a lack of reciprocity ... it just finally got to seem as if keeping in contact or initiating anything was always my responsibility, they'd be happy enough to see / hear from / get together with me as long as I did all the work ... left to their own devices, well, they kinda do approximately diddlysquat. If not for the internet, I'd be a total hermit by now.

E-hugs from an e-cluse, Doc!

2:18 AM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

So true, Christine. I think one reaches a high tide of friends (or at least, friendly acquaintances) sometimes in high school? College? And then settles down to a manageable, but greatly reduced number. And the drop is a little disappointing when one thinks about it.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead