Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why'd Rowling Name It "Quidditch"?

Anybody know? I'm reading another philosophical paper, and it keeps talking about "quiddity" (a term I vaguely recall from undergrad readings) and it sounded so close, I can't think she didn't know the relation, especially as she loves Latin references throughout.

That being said, I always wondered in general why the game was there at all. It really seems to have little to do with the main plot(s) and is just a kind of comic relief or bit of trivia about wizardly life.

3 Comments:

Blogger RJ Sevin said...

Clive Barker used the word well in THE GREAT AND SECRET SHOW and EVERVILLE.


As for Rowling, I think she simply thought it sounded cool. Regarding the purpose for the game in the books: it probably doesn't go much deeper than the fact it's a story about life in school, and those stories tend to have football/baseball/basketball interludes.

I always found it amusing that Harry gets to be both the nerd AND the jock.

3:48 AM  
Blogger John Goodrich said...

So Harry can also be the school's soccer star. Everyone loves the soccer star.

7:31 AM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Yes, I think your comments confirm what I was trying to say: it seems just a "typical" element, or what's expected, and not worthy of the higher aspirations of the series.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead