Saturday, September 05, 2009

Back from Crue Fest!

I'd never heard Godsmack before. Just kept seeing their tshirts at every concert I went to. They were pretty good.

The setting and weather were tremendous - what a great outdoor venue! (It was at Montage Mountain, Scranton, PA.)

And the Crue? Great stageshow. Maybe the best pyrotechnics I've ever seen. They not only had big flashpots, but these things that shot out sideways and seemed to light the risers on fire for a couple seconds. Very nice for "Shout at the Devil" and "Wild Side."

Now, it was a great show, don't get me wrong, but hearing Vince "sing" is more painful even than Joe Elliott. Going to see these older bands, I think I'm forgiving when it comes to the singer, as I know it must be hard at this point. I'm not going to complain. But you got to make an effort. You can't "sing" every other word of the lyrics (where your "singing" consists of speaking the words, often in a rhythm rather different than the original song), then hold the mike out over the crowd for the chorus - for EVERY SONG. Do it for a couple to save your voice, but you got to try to belt out some of them at least.

And the crowd? Wow. I actually don't know the politically correct term for what I'm thinking of right now. But hey - they were having a good time, and if you can shake your money maker at age 40, 30 lbs overweight, drunk and high, in public, slipping on all the mud and spilled beer you're gyrating in - hey, God bless you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi Lee (Morrighan) said...

Godsmack is amazing. I've seen them twice-once in an arena when they opened for Metallica (and blew them away) and once in a much smaller venue.

I saw the Crue on the Red, White and Crue tour. Seemed to me there was more flash, bang and strippers than there was anything else. And Tommy Lee's cam.. ;)

4:21 PM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

I think they were having problems with the portable cams - 'cause on the jumbotron they only showed the long shot of the whole stage, and never the go-go girls or the Tommy Lee cam.

And I think, really, at the end of the day, it shows the guys are mostly image more than music. They're all about all the trappings of being bad boy rockers, more than actually rocking.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead