Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Red Dawn

A truly evil movie, I've thought since the first time I saw it. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching it, the way I might enjoy smashing a mosquito, over and over, till it's unidentifiable as a biological form, or some other unsavory activity I might enjoy. But it is truly the kind of movie I'd ban if I could. There's just something so childishly evil in the violence or in its perspective in general (look at the scene when Swayze kills the helpless Russian and think back to when you read the equivalent scene in All Quiet, or saw it in any of the film versions, and think how those two versions affect you differently and make you a different person; or look at how the old guy hands his daughters over, all Old Testament style, to those of his own tribe rather than those baddies, and what effect that'd have on your attitudes). I seldom say I'm sickened by a movie (this is zombie Guy, after all) but I always feel dirty after watching a couple scenes.

But, I must say, since the last time I saw it (10+ years ago) - Harry Dean Stanton and Lea Thompson in bit parts?! That gets my attention! Wow, some people, whether they're gorgeous or horrifically ugly, are just fun to watch!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick Cato said...

Neat little film---I bet it's an annual viewing at most militia compounds!

11:29 AM  
Blogger KPaffenroth said...

Yes, the xenophobia and jingoism are part of what grosses me out about it, but I assume it's part of the appeal.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead