Thursday, March 24, 2011

Most Hated Villainess in Film


This is part of an LOTT-D roundtable this month on Villainesses.

I am trying to avoid "Favorite" or "Best" Villainess, as I don't think that's how I feel about her. I've picked Nurse Ratched from One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. The combination of fears of immasculation, castration, medical horror, the indifference of a bureaucracy, and then all topped off with the hero's feelings of guilt and complicity in Billy's death - she's got it all. Never mind the hair. The only gal I think would come close would be Annie in Misery, but there at least we get the satisfaction of her being killed. Nurse Ratched is victorious, barely scathed by McMurphy's attack. My parents were kinda cheap and would never pay for a babysitter, so I ended up seeing lots of R-rated movies as a kid. Most I have no recollection of whatsoever. But the scene when they open the door and see Billy splattered all over the walls of the cell - that left me traumatized for the rest of my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger jmcozzoli said...

What a great choice. She's so nasty, and controlling. A real B*TCH!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home



Masken





Triumph of The Walking Dead